Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our Story, Part V

(Go here for Part IV.)


That Friday night was January 29, 1993. My last night of being 18. Dan picked me up at my dorm, and we went back to his fraternity house to pre-party before going out to another party. The phone rang at his house, and it was for me. My roommate told me there was a package waiting for me at the dorm’s front desk. I told her I’d get it later, or maybe the next day. She said I had to come get it now – it was too big for the front desk to store overnight. What?! So Dan had to drive me back to the dorm to get the package.

I walked into the dorm, and there was a HUMONGOUS refrigerator box sitting in the middle of the lobby. It had my name and address written on it, in my mother’s handwriting. And all of a sudden, it moved. Then it started lifting itself up, and then one of my best friends from high school popped out from under it. My friend Sheila was in the box! I hugged her and squealed, then my parents appeared from behind a corner, videotaping it all. What a laugh! I hugged them, then introduced Dan. And that, my friends, is how Dan was ambushed into my family.

Sheila joined us that night and we all went to a party at the AEII fraternity house, along with some of my sorority sisters. Here’s another excerpt from my diary: “I got sort of quiet because it hit me about how much I care for Dan and also that I was about to be 19. He thought he had done something wrong and I just said I realized how much I needed him. He said he finally realized something also but he wasn’t sure if he should say it. So I said nothing and waited. He finally told me he loves me… Then I got so excited because I realized he must really love me. I mean, he waited until he was sure and until he felt it was right. He didn’t say it just to say it or because I said it.”

So simple, so matter-of-fact. He handed his heart to me on a silver platter, the best birthday present I’ve ever received. (Although the diamond studs he gave me for my 30th are pretty awesome too.)

The next day was my birthday, and my first “official” date with Dan. I had my camera with me since my friend Sheila was visiting, so I am one of the rare people who has a photo of herself and her husband on their first date. Good Lord, we were so young!

Check back later for Part VI.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I am LOVING this story! The pics are great too. I think my little brother had a shirt like that, lol.

Brina said...

I'm loving Dan's belt in that picture. Eric wore his the EXACT way when we met at Mizzou in 1992!!!

Miss you, B

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails