Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

We had a good holiday weekend.

Grandma and Poppy picked Katie up on Friday, straight off the bus. They took her to see Wall-E, which she liked. Dan and I got to have a quiet evening with Jackson, and hung out on our neighbor Sheryl's lawn for a while.

Saturday morning, Beth and I took the plunge and joined Weight Watchers together. I'm tired of being blubbery, and haven't been able to complete the rest of my "Taking Care of Elizabeth" plan that I vowed back in July. I've joined Weight Watchers before, and it's the only thing that has worked for me. I've given up on trying it alone, and decided enough is enough. I don't have the excuse anymore of baby weight or the thinking of "why lose weight, I'm going to have another baby." Whatever. It's time to fish or cut bait, right? Right. Wish us luck! Hopefully you'll see some photos of a slimmer me in the coming months.

On Saturday morning, we swapped kids with Grandma and then Dan, Katie and I went to the CrossRock concert at our church. Katie loves the praise band leader at our church, Brandon. His band sang, as well as lots of other great bands. Dan used the Steeley Pit to grill the burgers and hot dogs for the event, so he put in a lot of work. But it was a fun, relaxing afternoon. Here's a clip of the Brandon Salter Band playing one of Katie's favorite songs:

On Sunday morning, Katie went downstairs to play for a bit while Dan and I slept in. Around 8:15, she woke us up saying, "Uncle Leo is at the door!" We thought she was crazy, since Uncle Leo is our former neighbor who moved to Omaha years ago. But lo and behold, I opened the door and there was Uncle Leo. Ha! He was in town to pick up a car for his daughter and drive it back home. It was a fun surprise, and good to see him!

Grandma and Poppy came over Sunday afternoon and had lunch with us. I went grocery shopping for food to buy on my Weight Watchers plan, and also bought a new entry cubby for our garage door entry (although we may put it in the laundry room instead). Then Grandma and Dan replaced the railing on our front porch. Beth and her boys came over to play last night, and Ryan spent the night with Katie.

Today started off not so good: I had lots of joint pain when I woke, then Katie and Ryan fought from the moment they woke up. They bickered over everything you could imagine, and spent lots of time in separate rooms. I took them to the pool after lunch, and that seemed to ease everyone's frustrations. Beth, Sean and Liam joined us there later, before we had grilled burgers (a yummy WW recipe) for dinner.

All in all, it was a pretty good weekend. I'm looking forward to a nice, long soak in the tub in a few minutes, before I crash in bed and hit the ground running for another week.

I will never spend another Labor Day weekend without thinking of the one in 2004, when Mom was moved to hospice. She died the day after Labor Day that year, September 7 (also Dan's birthday). The rest of the country was enjoying the holiday weekend, and we were mourning my mom's death. So tonight I'm thankful that I have a husband to curl up to, and happy and healthy kids.

P.S. Mary, I added a special song to the playlist for you. Scroll down and see if you can find it, then leave me a comment letting me know you did. I love you!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Love how "Uncle Leo" surprised you. Aren't those the greatest?

Anonymous said...

Do you find writing down your thoughts calms your brain abit? I'm thinking of blogging in hopes that I can settle my brain, it's constantly going 1000 miles an hour.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails