Friday, August 15, 2008

Quite a Day

My day started with, "Mommy? There's a wet spot in my bed." Katie had leaked a little bit, and didn't make it to the potty on time. It happens when she's sleeping deeply, but not as often these days. So I spent the first 15 minutes of the day changing sheets and comforters and starting laundry.

Then Katie and I had breakfast, and Jackson woke. I ran up to get him, only to hear Katie start crying that she spilled her milk. When I came downstairs, I found she had spilled it ALL over. So Mommy got the job of cleaning it all up. Ugh.

Then things were okay for a bit: Katie on the bus, morning walk, shower, nap (Jackson, not me), playdate and lunch at a great park with good friends. And then my phone rang. It was the school nurse, saying Katie had a tummy ache. I talked to her on the phone and she started crying, so Jackson and I drove up to school. I thought for sure she was faking it. She even told me she didn't like the way I did her hair this morning (two ponytails), and that's why her tummy hurt. As I was negotiating with her about returning to class, she grabbed her stomach and said she had to throw up, and the nurse handed me a bucket. Just in time. Blech. Guess she wasn't faking, huh? We got out of there as fast as we could and she came home and crashed on the couch within minutes, sleeping for two hours straight. She puked again after she woke from her nap, but then seemed much better about three hours later. I let her have crackers and a banana for dinner, and she seemed okay for a little while. Then she started looking a little more peaked about an hour later, so we sent her to bed. She's there now, and so far it's been quiet.

The other bummer of the day is that our beer fridge in the garage (where we store beer, among other things like Cokes and marinating meat) pooped out. Dan's trying to figure out the problem, but it might be dead for good. After all, it's at least 15 or 20 years old. I inherited it when Mom died. I hope it can be fixed because we don't have the income to buy a new fridge right now! (We're buying gas for our cars instead, like all of you are too, I'm sure.)

But there is one small ray of light: I was super-efficient today, in between dumping buckets of puke, and trying to drink all the beer before it got warm. (Ha, just kidding.) I made six new custom shirts, plus I finished the photo bracelet for my Bloggy Giveaway winner. Yay! I feel so much more calm and at peace when I finish projects.

Let's hope the kids sleep through the night tonight, and the puking is over. Then I'll be REALLY calm and at peace tomorrow!

P.S. One more small ray of light in my day: Jackson's scab on his skinned nose fell off today. Poor kid looks like he takes a beating, doesn't he?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Those kinds of days are sooo draining. Hang in there! (I have sent my kids to school thinking they were faking it, only to be called by the nurse later.)

Robin said...

I sent my oldest to school convince he was faking, he got off the bus, walked into his classroom, and threw up into his teacher's waste basket.

Better than on the bus I guess.

Gretchen said...

Sorry to hear Katie isn't feeling well. :(

Can I tell you I'm doing the happy dance that the bracelet is finished? It's quite the sight. Good thing nobody else is home at the moment or they may have me committed before I'm able to wear it! :)

Elizabeth said...

I’m glad to know I’m not the only mom who thinks she has a faker. And I’m glad to know the nurse won’t think I’m the only bad mom in town!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails