Thursday, August 14, 2008

Katie is Awesome!

Every day, I am reminded in some way or another that Katie is an amazing person.

On Monday, I was in her classroom and her teacher told me she is the best reader "by far" in the entire class. You have no idea how a compliment like that makes my heart sing. I know Katie's accomplishments are her own, but is it wrong for me to share in some of it? It's gratifying to hear that she is above-average, because it means that Dan and I did something right these past five years.

I also put those Post-It note sight words on our wall (the ones that you can buy at the store now), and she read every single one to me, rapid-fire. No hesitation. Last Friday, she also read a book (that she doesn't have memorized), all the way through by herself. It was the Biscuit early reader book. I can't believe how much she's learning in school, and how that's transferring to her learning at home. Every day she comes home with a new rule she's learned, or a new song about colors, or a new skill (like labeling all the items in her drawings).

Yesterday, I was also reminded that Katie has such a generous heart. She came home from school and we were getting ready to go to the library. She was coloring a picture, and said she wanted to take it to the library-Ann. (She pronounced "librarian" like it had a middle name.) She finished coloring it in the car, and I decided to take her for a treat to Lion's Choice before we headed to the library. We were in the drive through getting our mini cones, and she said, "Wait! I want to give my picture to him!" (The teenager working the drive through window.) I passed the photo to the guy who had the typical teen boredom look on his face, and told him that my daughter wanted to give him a picture she drew. His face broke out in a big grin, and Katie yelled from the back seat, "My name's Katie!" I rolled down her window so she could tell him again, and he thanked her for the photo. I love that she has a kind and generous heart, and that she likes to give and make other people smile.

After the library, I took Katie to the pool. She was content to do handstands in the shallow end where I was sitting, and search underwater for dive sticks and treasures. She had such great manners: she didn't interrupt my conversations, apologized if she splashed me or Sheryl, and didn't fight with friends. On the way home, we saw a bunny in the yard and I asked if she knew how to spell bunny. Her answer: "B-U-Y-Y-N." So matter-of-fact. Then she corrected herself. She's a smart cookie!

I am amazed and in awe at this brilliant little five-year-old who has appeared in our lives. She is truly my pride and joy, and radiates light from her wonderful spirit. She's incredible. Awesome. Unbelieveable. Man, I love her!

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Congrats!!! Always wonderful to hear your child is a reader. :) My son taught himself to read and was on Tolkien by third grade.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love Biscuit books... we're on our second round of them here, Luke has started reading them too. Enjoy!

Robin said...

Of course you get credit (after all you would get the blame if she gets in trouble.) What a cutie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails