Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Our Story, Part III

(Go here for Part II.)

The rest of my first semester in college was spent going to class, socials, and exploring the campus. Every now and then I’d run in to Dan at some party or a sorority function (he knew a lot of girls in my house and ended up going to a lot of my date parties). At first, I was so completely embarrassed to see him. I had thrown myself at him and gotten rejected. When I first started running in to him, I’d kind of give a sheepish smile and bolt out of his presence as soon as possible. After a little while, it kind of turned into a shrug and a wave, but not much else.

The semester ended and I went home for Christmas. I got my grades, which weren’t so hot. They weren’t awful (a 3.21 GPA), but I knew I was capable of much more – and I better start performing if I was going to get into the Journalism School. When I started my second semester, I vowed to clean up my act. No more dating, and I needed to scale back my social calendar.

Over Christmas break, my sorority pledge mom and her long-term boyfriend (Dan’s fraternity brother) had broken up. She came back to school broken-hearted, and knew there was a party that very first weekend between the Phi Psis and another fraternity. She wanted “revenge” of sorts, so she talked me and two of my pledge sisters into going to the party. Here’s a photo of us before we went out that night. The date was January 23, 1993.

Pretty much as soon as we walked into the door of the party, my pledge mom and her boyfriend were back together. So that left me and my two pledge sisters to our own devices. We started mingling and met some guys, and started dancing after a while. I was dancing with this guy Kyle (also a Phi Psi), and we had been dancing together for quite a few songs. After a bit, this girl comes up and says to him, “I’m going to tell Misty what you’re doing!!!” I said, “Whoa! Who was that?!” And he replied, “My girlfriend’s roommate.” Oops. I told him he better get a move on, and he high-tailed it out of there.

That left me by myself in the middle of a song, while my friends were off dancing with other boys they had met. I went over and stood against the wall, feeling so out of place. After a few minutes, that Dan guy walked up and said hello, and asked if I wanted to dance. Of course I said yes, because I had gotten over most of my embarrassment by then. I think the first song we ever danced to was “Birdhouse in Your Soul” by They Might Be Giants. And the second song was the epic “American Pie” by Don McLean.

Dan and I had a great time dancing and talking, and we stayed up until around 3am. It was a great night, and we hit it off from there.

Check back later for Part IV.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to hear/see your story again. I love all the details and pictures. I'm a visual person, so the seeing it part makes it easier to remember.
Katie and Jackson will love having it all written out for them!!

Gretchen said...

Love hearing how people get together! Randy and I went to high school together (he's 2 years older) and I couldn't stand him. I would literally walk the other way if I saw him. He graduated, joined the Marines and got yummy! We ran into each other just as I was leaving for college and we've been together ever since.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that you remember better than I do that I wanted revenge and to go to that party. Lord almighty, I'm not even the kind of person who does stuff like that! More evidence that a) everyone is young and stupid at some point, and b) it wasn't the right relationship--at all. I am working alone here at home and turning red, that is SO embarrassing! PS I miss my 20-yr old a$$--I miss it and the skirt that went along w/it--

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails