Sunday, July 6, 2008

Good Friends

Today I was making labels for a new clothes sorter in Katie's room. Actually, it's not a "new" sorter, but it's new to us. I was talking to my friend about wanting to buy a day-of-the-week clothes hamper/sorter for Katie so when she starts school she can have her clothes already laid out each week. My friend mentioned she had something just like that at home and she wasn't using it. She offered to give it to me. I said yes, of course! It's been in Katie's closet and I bought a few extra baskets for it today, and made labels for each day of the week.

The thought hit me that I am so lucky to have the great friends I have. They are generous people, who give of what they have to help me fulfill my needs.

My neighbor has given us her daughter's entire wardrobe for the past four years. I mean everything: Christmas and Easter dresses, swimsuits, shorts, coats, tank tops, tights, winter boots, dress shoes, etc. I literally have not had to spend more than probably $150 or $200 total on clothes for Katie since then.

Another friend has done the same thing for Jackson. She has given us all of her two sons' clothes, which spans all four seasons (since they were born in opposite times of the year). I have cute sweater vests and Oxfords and Robeez and dozens of hats and probaly 75 bibs, along with all the wardrobe staples. She also passes along the toys her boys have outgrown, and other odds and ends like baby DVDs.

After I had Jackson, other friends passed me their extra baby food and formula and even nursing bra pads that they never used. I got bottles and another breast pump and cups and bowls.

Before I quit work, one friend and coworker had a bunch of books that her kids had outgrown. She gave those to Katie, and we now have entire bookshelves stocked with books on all three levels of our house. My basement also has a Little Tikes toy kitchen and beauty shop that my former neighbors gave us before they moved. We inherited their learning games and activity kits, which Katie is just now growing in to.

I'm a lucky mom, and my kids are lucky to have so many others looking out for them. Thanks to all of you who help me cut corners, make ends meet (how could I afford all those toys and clothes and books on one income?!), and lavish my kids with love. Thanks for being my friends!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails