Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Big Day, Part 2

Thank God! Katie arrived off the bus, with a smile on her face.

All the kids on our street were happy and excited to tell us about their day. We went to my yard and everyone ate the special "First Day" cake that Katie and I baked yesterday. We talked about their days, and about new friends they made.
The kids ate two pieces of cake each, then headed off to ride bikes. Before I knew it, one of the kids told me Katie said some not-so-nice things to him. And then she came down the street riding her bike, yelling at the kids. I asked her to go inside and take a time out. She grumped to me, "But I've had a very bad day!" and ran inside. Uh oh.

After giving her some time to cool off, I went inside and we talked about her day. Katie said a boy pushed and kicked her on the playground at recess. I asked her if she told her teacher or asked a grown up for help. She said no. I asked her if she told the boy to stop. She said no. So we talked about what to do in the future, and how to ask for help. Then she told me more about her day. She said she liked lunch time. Her favorite part of the day was, "I colored!" She had P.E. and learned how to jump up and land "criss-cross applesauce" on the ground. She made a new friend named Justin.
All in all, I think it was a good day. I'm sure we'll have a week or two of adjustment, but I think it was a good start to the school year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me that I haven't even started back-to-school shopping for supplies and school starts in 5 weeks - where did the summer go?
Smiles - Stacey

Elizabeth said...

You still have five weeks? Enjoy the rest of summer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails