Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Angels & Demons

Yes, that's the title to a Dan Brown novel (also my favorite of his, even more than The DaVinci Code). I digress. That's also the title to my evening with the kids.

Jackson is crabby. Katie is exerting her big sister authority. How quickly things go from this:
...to one throwing blocks at the other, and one kicking in retaliation. My, oh my. And to make the punting of her little brother worse, Katie then lied to Daddy about it. Since I saw the entire thing unfold from my post in the living room, she got in serious trouble for both offenses. Instead of the privilege of watching a show then reading two books before bedtime, the show and one book were taken away. What a swell day.

While we were treated to a full night's sleep last night, it didn't help much. Jackson hasn't been sleeping well for the last week or two. (Maybe because we started skipping the morning nap? I think I'll re-institute it tomorrow and see if that helps.) And I've had a headache all day, and feel like I can't make a dent in my To Do list. And it's been raining LOTS today. The list goes on...

To make it worse (and since I'm already complaining anyway), I haven't been feeling my best for the last six or eight weeks. I've been having joint pain and stiffness. Yes, I've been trying to ignore it because, really, I don't have time for an autoimmune disorder right now. And I keep blaming it on the new foamy bed we got in May. I keep telling myself that my body is still adjusting. (Ha! The lies we tell ourselves!) So, I just keep hoping that I'll wake up tomorrow and feel better. And that's what I'm going to hope again tonight when I go to bed.

Okay, enough of my crabbiness. Now that I've vented and gotten that off my chest, I feel better and I'm ready to go veg on the couch and finish watching the marathon 13 episodes of Mad Men that Dan has gotten me hooked on. It's starting to invade my brain the way Lost did when we watched the first two seasons on DVD, back to back within about a month's span. My friends started begging me to STOP quoting Lost characters and referring to them like old friends. I'm not that bad with Mad Men yet, but did you notice my sly use of the '60s slang "swell" above? Tee hee.

5 comments:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

My two little angels and their father kept me away most of the night last night...my husband with a strained back...my oldest had insomnia...and the youngest is teething. Today the three of them are the angels and I am acting like a demon due to lack of sleep.

Thanks for your comments. I will visit...and you do the same.

Gretchen said...

My kids are the same way. They can fight like cats and dogs one minute and be the best friends the next. Heaven help anyone who messes with one because the other will quickly step up and knock that person down a peg or two.

Anonymous said...

A couple ideas for the aches and pains:

1. Add about 2 cups (or more; I use half a carton on bad days) of Epsom salts to a warm or hot bath, and soak for at least 10 minutes, 2 to 3 times per week minimum. Very safe, old home remedy, doctors like it, epsom salts are in your local walgreens or grocery store.

2. Magnesium Citrate, preferably with calcium, 250 mg to 1000 mg daily (have to play around a bit to find your right dose). This takes a couple of weeks to build up enough in your system to chase away the aches, but worth the wait. This is also very safe, doctors WANT us to be taking a lot of calcium AT OUR AGE (ugh!), but the body doesn't absorb it well without magnesium, and most of us AT OUR AGE (ugh!) are magnesium deficient anyway.

The aches and pains could be related to not sleeping, could be related to all the fluctuating hormones, AT... okay, no need to go there again! But you know what I mean. Epsom salts and Magnesium will help regardless, and are not "wacko"... though if you do decide to come over to the dark side (alternative/complementary medicine), I've got a lot of wacko stuff to try, too... ; )

I understand about the autoimmune fears. It's all over my family too; I'm the only female not yet "stricken," unless you count fibromyalgia in there, and I don't. I figure, no matter what happens, it won't have taken God by surprise, right? (Remind me I said that, if I need it later).

Get some sleep. (pssst; melatonin is a safe sleep aid, even for 1 year olds...)

; )
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh, my friend! I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad spell. I wish I had the remedy for sibling posturing...but I think I'm still doing it with my sisters after 37 years? Now I understand why my mom always said our arguing broke her heart. As for your aches, hang in there! Stretch, try pilates, and hang in there. I hope it gets better soon.

Brina said...

I worry about you when I read about joint pain etc. I breaks my heart. Hopefully, it's like you said...the new mattress! Love you! Brina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails