Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back to School, Part 2

I wrote about our back to school morning last Thursday. Yes, we already have two days of school under our belts by the time I'm posting this update about the end of the day, but I wanted to make sure the details got entered in the record anyway!

If this photo of the triumphant return is any proof, then it was a successful day.

I invited the kids on our street over for rainbow cake. You'll recall that last year's cake had only a "K" on it. The "K" stood for Kindergarten, even though the other kids on our street were not Kindergarteners. So this year, I decorated the cake with a "K" and also a 1 and a 2, to honor all the kids on our street - Kindergarteners, first graders and second graders.

We cut into that cake, and it was gloriously colorful on the inside. And no one was the wiser that it was a complete wreck just a half day before. Sweet!

The kids begged for seconds, but I wouldn't let them because there wasn't enough to go around twice. Besides, I wanted to save one last piece for Dan to enjoy when he got home from work. It's not often that you have rainbow cake around our house!

After the kids were bathed and watching their evening show, I escaped to Wal-Mart to search for a new lunch box. This is what I saw when I walked out of the store:

Beautiful, isn't it? Almost as good as the sunsets in Jamaica... but not quite.

1 comment:

Charity said...

I wish I had been a kid in your neighborhood when I was growing up. What an awesome cake!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails