Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Bruised My Coccyx, Broke My Cake and Burned My Muffins

All in a day's work!

My mishaps started after my exuberant post today on "jumping in there" and "acting like a kid." Since it was the last day of summer before school starts tomorrow, I took my kids to a local play area. I decided to enter the fun myself. That ended badly when I went down the slide a little too fast and landed straight on my tailbone. No, not the fat on my bottom which would have protected me well, but I landed right on the base of my coccyx. (Yeah, I spell checked that one too!) The thud on my bones was an audible sound to bystanders. Ouch! Enough sliding for me, thanks.

During Jackson's nap, Katie and I had a long To Do List. First I had to fight an unnecessary battle with my doctor's office about getting my medications. That was annoying and delayed our To Do List. But we finally got down to business and started making a Rainbow Cake. Go check that link out - isn't that the coolest thing?

First we mixed the batter (using the Weight Watchers recipe that has just the cake mix and a can of Diet Sprite or Diet 7Up). Then we added the food coloring, which I bought especially at Michael's because they had the intense gel colors. We separated the batter into six equal portions, then dyed them the colors of the rainbow.

Next, we poured the batter into the cake pans in the Roy G Biv order. It looked pretty cool so far!

But, of course, there was a big mess to clean up afterwards, while the cake was cooking. Katie helped by licking the six spoons clean.

While the cake cooked, we moved on to making mini blueberry muffins for the breakfast on the first day of school.

Then it was time to pull the cakes out of the oven. So far, so good!

After a little bit of cooling, I got a little overzealous shaking the cake out of the pan and THIS is what happened. Ugh!

Oh, well. I wasn't wasting all that effort, so I salvaged the broken cake and I don't think it turned out too badly. A little lopsided and crumbly looking, but I think it'll still taste like cake. Yummy!

Time for the muffins to come out. And, yes, half of them were a little burnt and crispy. Man! While everything cooled, I had yet another item to go into the oven. Katie painted her own tea set on Tuesday, so it was time to bake it. Here you can see our three finished items.

Lastly, my dinner strike is officially over and I ACTUALLY cooked turkey tenderloins for dinner. It wasn't the best meal I've ever made, so that was a little discouraging. But after being on dinner strike for almost four months, I'm proud of myself just for cooking the darn thing!

I have one more photo for you, just because I have to show you how cute Jackson is. I made him an "astronaut helmet" from a milk jug, and he had fun running around with it on. He says, "It's so cutie." Yes, he is so cutie, isn't he?

It was a busy day, and my bottom really hurts tonight. But I'm excited for tomorrow, and can't wait to see what the Rainbow Cake looks like inside!

3 comments:

sheryl said...

It's nice to see pictures with for the stories you were telling me last night... everything looks so fun.. and Jackson sure is a cutie.

scrappysue said...

i hope you told yourself what i always told my girls - a broken biscuit (or cake) still TASTES the same. a wonderful rainbow cake to be sure!!!

PillowNaut said...

that is about the funniest blog post title ever!! and i saw the cake a few posts back -- the finished product definitely turned out great. love the astronaut helmet! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails