Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fun with Jackson

Now that school is back in session, Jackson and I are back to our routine. There are days that I have to physically restrain myself from giving myself a pat on the back. I can't tell you how relieved I am that the 2005 version of myself decided to wait another year to have a second baby. Because that is paying off in spades now. Katie goes to school, and Jackson and I have our own time together. She got four years of being an only child, and now Jackson is getting a version of that same luxury. I am so pleased about it because it gives me time to spend with him and gives me a chance to get to know him as a person, one-on-one. Way to go, 2005 Elizabeth! Thanks for thinking ahead and for knowing your limits!

I digress. Anyhoo...

Friday was one of those fun days for me and Jackson. We went to the library to have a Clifford storytime and then meet a life-sized version of The Big Red Dog. When Clifford first walked into the room, Jackson wasn't too excited about it. Some other kids were hesitant about him, and then there were the ones who wanted to physically smother him with love and hugs. As long as Clifford stayed at the front of the room, Jackson was comfortable. When it came time for everyone to get photos with Clifford, a long line formed and Jackson contented himself by plopping in front of the TV and watching a Clifford show. The line was almost gone and I finally coaxed him to go visit Clifford and take a photo with him. He was pretty darn cute, hugging the dog and trying to show him the Clifford book he was holding. By the way, it was an odd flashback kind of day too. The shirt Jackson is wearing is the one Grandma bought for Katie to wear at her third birthday party. It is technically a boy's outfit because we couldn't find a girl's Clifford outfit. She loved it, regardless of who it was made for. So, yes, I dressed my daughter in boy's clothes. And now her brother is wearing the same thing. It's kind of weird for me to see him in her clothes!

We left the library and met my mom's group at a nearby park. I brought Rice Krispies for the kids to throw to the fish in the pond. (I got a clean on last week when I couldn't find my muffin tin in the pantry. I decided to save the stale Krispies for a fish trip just like this.) The kids enjoyed throwing the Krispies into the wind and watching the fish nibble them. We looked for turtles in the pond, and Jackson took about two years off my life by hopping and "gumping" (his pronunciation of "jumping") near the very edge of the pond. I was sucking my breath in with huge gasps, just convinced that he would end up IN the pond.

Luckily, he stayed dry and I convinced him to sit down and take some photos. (I told him if he didn't, then he couldn't play on the playground.) He cooperated, and this is the face he gave me when I said, "Show me your smile."

I could just eat him up!

1 comment:

Gina said...

He is so cute! That was the one library event I really really REALLY wanted to take Logan to, because I know he would have loved it! I'm just too terrified to break the school routine! Plus I am paying for it!! Anyway, I am so glad I have not gotten pregnant yet either. I think 3 and 1/2 to 4 years is perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails