Friday, July 31, 2009

Saying Goodbye

I had never met Jenn and Chris Hawn before today. And today is a day I wish could be erased from their lives.

About three weeks ago, I started reading their blog after hearing their story from my friend, Danielle. Their son, Ryan, died just three days ago. He was only six months old. Six months. At his funeral today, I met him for the first time. A hello and a goodbye in the same breath.

My heart aches for this family. It split right open when I saw Ryan in his casket, which reminded me of a cradle. He was nestled inside, peaceful and painless. I hoped that he would wake up and smile, because he looked like he could at any moment. I'm sure that in heaven, he's smiling despite all the sadness over his loss here. Hold him close, Jesus. And his family too.

Please keep the Hawns in your prayers. Their loss is tremendous, and so is ours.

3 comments:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I have no words...but my prayers for their comfort are being said.

Brina said...

She is a gifted writer just like you Elizabeth :) I truly enjoyed getting to "know" Ryan and making myself go down that path of remembrance of my Emme. The post where she talks about Ryan not being in the North section of the NICU was sad for me. That's where Emme was. I tried to read it without my own issues taking over. I think I did ok :) What an amazing family...

Gretchen said...

Losing a child is the absolute worst thing that can ever happen to a parent. :( My heart and prayers are with them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails