Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fifth Birthday Letter

Dear Katie,

Forgive me for typing this letter. I type much faster than I write these days, and time is of the essence! It seems I never have enough of it.

I wish I had more time this past year to lay with you and cuddle, and read books. You’ve enjoyed going to the library every other week and picking out five books to “buy.” (You always say, “buy” even though I tell you we’re just borrowing them!) We read them over and over, until you can recite them yourself. And lately, you’ve actually started to read lots of the words on your own!

I wish I had more time to watch your favorite shows with you. Every evening after bathtime, you pick one of your favorites to watch: Clifford, Word World, Little Einsteins, or Curious George. You even sleep with a monkey that you call Curious George. (You also sleep with a dog named PJ, a duck named Molly, a bear named Apple Bear, and a penguin named Perry.)

I wish I had more time to swim at the pool with you this summer. I have enjoyed watching you take to the water again. You are fearless, except when you are in the inner tube with Sammi and Rebekah. You’re always afraid it’s going to flip over. But the rest of the time, you LOVE the pool. You are a great natural swimmer. Now I need to get you started in some true swim lessons so you can learn real strokes!

I wish I had more time to drive with you in the car, watching you sing your favorite songs out loud. You can really belt them out! Your favorites are “Our Song” by Taylor Swift, “Kung Fu Fighting” by Bus Stop, and a new favorite is “YMCA” by the Village People. You recently told me you’re going to be on American Idol when you grow up, and I’ll be able to watch you on TV.

I wish I had more time to take you to the movies too. About a week ago, Grandma watched Jackson while Daddy and I got to take you to see “Kung Fu Panda.” It was so nice having alone time with you. I also got to take you to see “Alvin and the Chipmunks” one day when Jackson was at Parents Day Out. You truly are a joy to be around – so smart, inquisitive, funny, and full of passion and excitement.

You have turned into such an amazing little girl this past year. You’ve grown tremendously - learning to read and write, and getting ready for school. You’ve also accepted all of the upheaval and changes we’ve had this past year with true grace; you have welcomed Jackson with open arms, and are so good with him. He adores you, and laughs at your funny faces the most. I can never get him to laugh at me the way he laughs at you!

In just one month, you’ll be starting Kindergarten. And all of a sudden, time will have moved on and I’ll be begging for it to stop. I can’t begin to tell you how much I will miss you during the day while you are at school. I’ve spent the last three years at home with you, and I am so very glad that we made the decision for me to be a stay-at-home mommy. I wouldn’t trade the last three years for anything. We strengthened our bonds, and did a lot of loving and learning together. And who’s going to help me entertain Jackson when you go off to school? :)

On the other hand, I am very excited for you to start school. I know you will excel, and I know you need the structure and regimen that school will bring. I can’t wait to see you grow and learn in the coming year. I know you’ll amaze me and Daddy every day. I have to admit I have fear in my heart that you will be learning things from other kids that I don’t want you to learn… but I guess that comes with the territory.

It’s odd for me to say this about a five-year-old, but I have faith that Daddy and I have already instilled a moral compass in you. Of course, we’ll spend the next 13 years (or is that 33 years?!) strengthening it and fine-tuning it, but I truly believe that you have a good heart inside you and it will lead you down the right path.

So all that’s left to say to you, my big five-year-old girl, is that you are in for an awesome year. I look forward to watching you grow more in to yourself.

And maybe this coming year, time will slow down a bit and we can live part of it in slow-motion. One can only wish…

I love you, sweet baby girl. “As long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.”

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Katie! Wow, I can't believer how fast 5 years goes by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails