Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We Need More Fun

I happened upon a Love and Logic class tonight, and I'm so glad I did. My friend Beth and I had a board meeting at church, where the L&L class was also being held. When our meeting was over, we crashed the class and listened to the speaker. She had some great ideas for helping kids make their own choices, delayed consequences, modeling good behavior for our kids, and using "enforceable statements."

I've been to an L&L seminar before and read two of the books by Jim Fay & Dr. Charles Fay. I love their style, but I guess I've forgotten some of their ideas. I've gotten a bit rusty, so it was good to be reminded of some of the concepts.

One of the topics struck a chord with me. The speaker suggested scheduling a block of time each day (even if it's for only 10 minutes) to have fun and one-on-one time with your child. I realized Katie and I haven't had lots of no-holds-barred fun lately. It seems we're running from one task to another, and don't have time for crazy laughs and pure fun.

So I think I'm going to work on that. Maybe we'll play Uno more often. Maybe I'll color some pictures with her. Have a Play-doh session. Chase her around the house. Build a fort. Turn on our favorite music (loudly) and dance with her. And maybe, just maybe, I'll let her decide for me! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails