Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Dinner Table

The kitchen floor is dirty. Really dirty. Like a crumb mosaic down there.

One kid is reciting, verbatim, an entire movie trailer. While galloping around the kitchen island. Loudly. The other is putting his ketchup-covered fork on top of his head and singing, "Happy birthday to Mommy..." Then he puts his sippy cup on his head and repeats.

Is this bliss? In some ways, yes. Because I wouldn't have it any other way. (Except maybe Daddy home from work, but he's staying late tonight.)

And, today, the one thought that gets me through all of this is: Thank God we're not having any more kids.

I say that with guilt, knowing there are those out there who can't have more (or even any). But in the same vein, I know MY limits. And I've reached them. TWO IS ENOUGH.

I'm sure I'll look back wistfully on these days some day, and I'll miss the two little screaming, fighting, messy, ketchup-covered, greedy, couch-diving, whiny, self-centered little banshees. Lord, let me remember only the belly laughs and the mispronounced words, the slobbery kisses and dozens of pages filled with "I love you so muhc Mommy." (Yes, she gets the "h" before the "c" every stinkin' time.)

And years from now, pardon me while I laugh inwardly when their kids are the little banshees. Oh, dear God, PLEASE let me live to see those days!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I fixed my blog. That's what you get for blogging when you are so tired that you literally can't keep your eyes open and are too tired to check it after you hit publish......

Cindy said...

It's really "Thank God our family is complete." I didn't have that feeling after two, DEFINITELY had it after three, even though he was an easy baby.

And how does YOU having another baby ease the pain of someone who can't???

You did what God called you to do. You are DOING what He called you to do. And you are listening when He whispers "Enough!" Nothing to feel guilty about!

Hope you're having a great summer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails