Sunday, October 26, 2008

Twelve Years


Twelve years ago today, the world changed forever. Maybe yours didn't, but mine did. My brother Jackson died. Not to be too dramatic, but so did the Old Elizabeth. That day marked a line in the sand. Everything prior to 10/26/96 was "before." Everything since has been "after." It's a day that has forever changed the way I view my world. You just have no idea. No idea! If you were lucky enough to know him, you do have an idea. If you didn't know him, consider yourself shortchanged.

I put together a video of his life to share with you. In doing so, my chest actually ached again at seeing his smile and invincibility. It stuns me how much he looks like my own son in certain photos. And then, at the same moment, my breath catches and I pray to God (beg) to never take one of my children from me. Twelve years have eased the ache a bit and dulled some of the memories. It's amazing how much I forgot, and how much it still shocks me that he's gone.

Twelve years. Years. Enough time for an entirely new lifetime - a New Elizabeth - to be conceived and birthed. And yet not enough time for me to stop missing him.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

your video made my chest ache also. I wasn't lucky enough to know him... you make it look like he sure did live a full, loving life though. I am sorry for your loss. I am sure he is very proud of you.

Jen said...

Wow, I am impressed by your video. I do not think I could have done that. It looks like he had a very happy life.

Gretchen said...

What a beautiful memorial to him. I made one for our Michael and it's set to his favorite song. I watch it probably more often than I should, but I can't stop myself. I keep asking WHY? Why him? He was a good kid. It's not fair! I know, life isn't supposed to be fair.

Just know I'm thinking of you and know how you're feeling.

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I am so very sorry that I did not read this post earlier...

It must have been a rough day, but I am impressed that you were able to put together such a wonderful tribute to your brother.

Brina said...

Ok...that is the most amazing video ever! I've seen pictures and read about Jackson's life, but that helped me to maybe "know" who we was.
Love,
B

Nate Hudson said...

I was one of the lucky ones!!! My heart hurts with you. When I saw that picture of Patrick and Jackson I just began to sob. Will you email me that photo. I know that Patrick doesn't have it and would love it. Jackson meant so much to him. He was his hero!! I was just telling Scott about Jackson and what an amazing person he was. After I told him more about Jackson Scott's first comment was he died way too young and that is so true. He taught all of us so much while he was here. Courage, kindness, strength, and heart.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you since I too know the loss of an only brother. Our mutual friend Charity shared your website with me. I also attend Windsor...we'll have to meet sometime soon.

Take care,
Michele

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails