Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Raynaud's Syndrome

It's happening to me, which is not unexpected. Lupus patients sometimes get Raynaud's Syndrome as a secondary complication. Dad had it, so that's why I recognized it immediately when it happened to me the first time last week. I'm just amazed at how quickly it happened. All of a sudden I'm diagnosed with lupus and it's like my body took that as permission to go a little haywire.

The Raynaud's has happened about three more times now, and it's really quite weird. Whichever fingers are affected (it's been different every time so far) lose all feeling, and turn completely white. And it happens in almost an instant. Then when the fingers finally warm up again, they hurt with the "pins and needles" feeling. And they turn spotty blue before the pink finally comes back. It's kind of weirdly fascinating to watch it happen. The good news is that (from what I can tell online), mine is a mild case so far.

I am not looking forward to winter. My fingers already had a tendency to crack and split open in the past, and I'm sure it's going to be worse this winter. I am looking at some portable electric blankets to buy, and also some heated gloves. Hopefully I can minimize the outbreaks as much as possible.

4 comments:

Mama said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues, but I can certainly relate. I've had a few surprises of my own in the past year -- still trying to wrap my mind around it all.

Let's pray for one another, wanna?

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry to hear your health is getting worse. :( I know how it feels when your body betrays you.

Nate Hudson said...

Haven't you been through enough already. I am so sorry that you have Lupus. I can't imagine how you are so strong. You are such an inspiration. My dad and I were talking the other day about what a beautiful writer you are and how we love to read your posts as it gives us a window to the amazing beauty of your life. Your messages always give me strength and comfort and you have to know that you sharing your life with all of us is therapy for us too.

I loved your predictions for Jackson's life. It is fun to wonder.

Hang in there!

Shannon said...

Sorry about this finger situation. I know it is frustrating. Just catching up on your posts, and the fairy houses are adorable. What a great idea! We would have to call them frog houses or something, though, fairy anything wouldn't fly, lol.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails