Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gifts from a Five-Year-Old

Oh, the things a little five-year-old girl finds precious...

I'm typing on my blog while Jackson naps and Katie is in her room for quiet time. She comes down the stairs, and says, "Mommy! Look what I made for Jackson?" Can you see it in the picture and tell what it is?

She hands me a rock with a piece of tape on it. (She's been having a tape fest lately, thanks to this suggestion from Mad About Plaid Girl.) The tape is holding a tiny little drawing onto the rock. Apparently the drawing is of Jackson. She made the rock into a Jackson rock. I told her it was very nice. She said, "Yours is on your bedside table." I told her thank you for making me a rock too, and hugged her. She was so pleased with herself, and said, "I'm full of surprises!"

So, of course, we had to take photos of the rock so I could post the story on my blog. One day, she won't see treasures in an everyday old rock. So for now, I'm going to celebrate and cherish that part of my girl that still sees joy in the ordinary-ness of rocks.

4 comments:

Mama said...

See, there? That's why God gave us children! I keep forgetting.

Just kidding! oh, I crack myself up!

Robin said...

What are you going to name your rock? I loved my Pet Rock.

Gretchen said...

I miss those days. Treasure every one of those rocks.

Shannon said...

Very sweet! My nine year old gave the buddies a hot wheel car wrapped in a dollar bill for their birthdays. They were thrilled!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails