Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Writer's Almanac

Lord, have mercy. I have a new daily delight, courtesy of my long-lost relative Marti. She tipped me off to a great email service from NPR. It's called The Writer's Almanac, and I subscribed to a daily email that includes a poem and a bit on notable birthdays for that day.

I just subscribed to the email this week, and have had two amazing poems sent to my in box. I have taken such joy and pleasure in reading them. Please go read the one for today, and here's a copy of the poem from November 3:

Lessons by Pat Schneider
I have learned
that life goes on,
or doesn't.
That days are measured out
in tiny increments
as a woman in a kitchen
measures teaspoons
of cinnamon, vanilla,
or half a cup of sugar
into a bowl.

I have learned
that moments are as precious as nutmeg,
and it has occurred to me
that busy interruptions
are like tiny grain moths,
or mice.
They nibble, pee, and poop,
or make their little worms and webs
until you have to throw out the good stuff
with the bad.

It took two deaths
and coming close myself
for me to learn
that there is not an infinite supply
of good things in the pantry.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails