Thursday, November 20, 2008

Fifty Years Without a New Lupus Drug

Fifty years is a looooong time. Enough time for two (if not three) generations of your family to be born. Did y'all know that gas cost 25 cents per gallon in 1958? NASA was formed in 1958, and Elvis was inducted into the Army. The musical "My Fair Lady" opened in London. The Hula Hoop was introduced. And so was the last drug to specifically treat lupus. Think about that. Can you imagine yourself in fifty years (I'll be 84), and still using the same cholesterol medication or the same vitamins or headache pills? Man, I sure hope that we've advanced a bit more than that in fifty years.

I found out that November 20 marks fifty years since the FDA last approved a drug to specifically treat lupus. What?! Fifty years? Ouch. In that time, we've not only treated countless other diseases, we've even cured some of them. Cured. Extinct, baby. And yet not even one new measly little drug has been approved for lupus? Aw, c'mon. I can't imagine the uproar that would be storming the nation if it had been fifty years since the last drug was approved to treat breast cancer or heart disease.

The Lupus Foundation of America blog has asked lupus patients to share their stories with Congress, in hopes of raising awareness of the issue and asking for more funding in the area of lupus research. Lupus patients are also asked to write a thank you note to those who are currently researching medicines and cures for lupus. I already sent in my letter, and hope and pray that it gets heard!

One more thing about lupus: a recent commenter on my blog pointed me in the direction of the Alliance for Lupus Research. I have been checking out the ALR website, and am floored by the prospect of direct funding for lupus research. Go check out their website, and let me know what you think.

Don't let another fifty years pass us by!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Fifty years? That is crazy! Maybe it would be different if a member of Congress got it, or someone at the FDA. Hopefully they come through soon.

Gretchen said...

That's horrible! If the "right" names had that disease, there would be a cure already. It's sickening. :(

threesidesofcrazy said...

Thanks for stopping by. 50 years is certainly too long. When I was diagnosed in 1985 many doctors and ALL insurance companies still considered the disease a death sentence! My Rheumatologist is a wonderful doctor and a progressive thinker that doesn't treat women with Lupus like a hysterical being as many male doctors still do.

Anonymous said...

Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,
Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails