Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sometimes Your Guy Loses

At breakfast today, I told Katie that Barack Obama won the race for president. I was kind of flippant with the news, because I didn't expect it to have much of an impact. She surprised me and started crying. I told her it's not a bad thing, that Obama will be a good president. She said, "But I wanted John McCain to win. I voted for him." (The kids voted at school.) I told her sometimes the people or teams we want to win don't win. But Obama will take good care of us, and he has people called senators and representatives who will help him run America. We talked about how people in other countries don't get to vote for their leaders, and we're lucky in America because we get to vote.

Tonight when Dan got home, Katie said, "Daddy, did you know that Barack Obama is our president? John McCain lost." She got sad again, so Dan explained the same thing to her that sometimes the people we like lose and that Obama will be a good president. She seemed better with it this time. I had no idea she would cry over Obama, or that she was so invested in the election. Poor girl!

5 comments:

World's Greatest Mommy said...

We had to do the same thing. Our kids were convinced that all of these horrible things were going to happen. Our daughter was in tears. I was proud of my husband (one of the staunchest Republicans on the planet). He took her in his arms and explained that Barack Obama would be a good President and that everything would be just fine!

Thanks for your comments...and your thoughts of me. I'm doing a little better.

Mama said...

similar thing at our house. I blogged about it last night.

Everything will be just fine.

Shannon said...

My kids were extremely upset too. I don't think they ever even entertained the thought of Obama winning.

Robin said...

I live in a house divided - at least politically. So we have already dealt with what if your guy doesn't win -- and half of us are happy no matter what. lol

Gretchen said...

My kids are strong Democrats - can't imagine why with a mom like me - so they were up rooting for Obama. They wanted me to wake them up when a decision was made, but I just told them in the morning. A loud WOO HOO was heard then. :)

I'm glad that kids were so into this election. It's important they understand what the right and responsibility to vote is.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails