Monday, November 3, 2008

Daily Guideposts

Every morning before my shower, I read a devotion from Daily Guideposts. It's a great way to start my day with a little Scripture, a small devotion and a prayer. When I was in college, Dad started giving me the coming year's Daily Guideposts as a Christmas gift. He always wrote in the front of the book, and I've saved every single one of them - just so I can have those inscriptions he wrote.

Christmas of 2004 was the last time I received a Daily Guideposts from Dad. It was my first Christmas after Mom died, and it would be my last Christmas with Dad. He died exactly two months later, on February 24, 2005. Here's what he wrote in the last one:

Dearest Elizabeth,
As I said last year, live, with excitement, each and every page of this book! God is speaking to you with each day's message - to you!
This past year could never have been fore-told, but you made it! One of the joys of parenting is the joy and reward of watching and participating in the growth and maturity of your children. I have been so proud this past year watching you cope and enjoying watching you mature in just one more step of womanhood. You'll never be "grown up." You can always find something to learn tomorrow.
Never forget how much I love you - as long as we both and each live. Live it fully.
Dad, Christmas 2004

Why am I writing about Daily Guideposts today? Because it's that time of year when I need to order copies for next year. After Dad died, I made a deal with my sister: I'll by us both a copy of Daily Guideposts every Christmas (Dad also gave her one each year too), and she'll buy us both that year's White House ornament (which is what Mom bought each year). In this way, we will carry on the traditions of our parents.

Of course, I write an inscription inside the Daily Guideposts that I give my sister. Who writes mine now that Dad is gone? Each year I beg Dan to write something for me. It usually sits on his desk for a few weeks while he ponders it. When he finally writes something, it always ends up being eloquent and meaningful. I re-read Dan's inscription today, in which he quoted a poem that ends with the word, "together." I love that he's carrying on the tradition too.

4 comments:

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

I love that you and your sister keep these wonderful traditions alive! How beautiful to have such a meaningful and heartfelt letter from your dad...

scrappysue said...

that is so sweet! i wish i was close to my sister :(

Robin said...

How wonderful that you made a plan to keep some family traditions alive. I am going to think hard about starting some traditions for my family. (any suggestions?)

Elizabeth said...

Robin,
Oh, funny! Suggestions?! You came to the right place, baby! I collect traditions like some people collect trading cards. I will email you a separate document with ideas.

But here's another place to go look: when Danielle had her bloggy giveaway in July, she asked people to tell her about traditions and family phrases. Go read her post and the 309 comments she got with ideas. It's a good place to start! Here's a link: http://www.extraordinarymommy.com/blog/?p=284

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails