Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy 13

Today was our 13th wedding anniversary. (Yes, I know. Stupid idea to get married this close to Christmas. More on that in a moment.)

Grandma offered to babysit so we could go out for our anniversary. Since we already had a big date in November that we considered our early anniversary celebration, we chose to do something low-key tonight. We went to see the movie Slumdog Millionaire, which was pretty good. Our plan was to get wings (my fave!) at Buffalo Wild Wings, but it was packed for the Mizzou game. So we went to a high-class, fancy restaurant. No, not McDonald's. Better than that! We had ourselves some Cracker Barrel. Yummm-meee! Seriously. This Southern girl was happy to have a biscuit and country ham. And there was even candlelight from the kerosene lamp bolted to the table. Be still, my heart. Even better? We got to shop in the store too. Yeehaw! To round out our romantic evening, we stopped at the grocery store on the way home to get the ingredients for my Christmas Day dish that we are bringing to the family gathering. Home by 9:00, and that was our romantic night out. And yet it was perfect.

Now about that 23rd of December thing. Yes, I know it was an inconvenience to ALL of my family and friends. Yes, I still hear about it to this day from certain *AHEM* bridesmaids. But there were benefits: our family was together for Christmas, right? And I saved tons of money on church and reception hall decorations, since Christmas decorations were already displayed. The best part? Every year for our anniversary, we are forced to slow down in the midst of Christmas chaos and take a little time for our marriage. Although that often includes extended family in one way or another (a musical one year with my mom in tow, or last year's dinner at Moe's with my two kids, sister, brother-in-law and two nieces). But we're together, and that's all that matters.

Happy 13th, hooney. Thanks for sticking by me this past year, when things got difficult and scary. Thanks for always coming home to me and the kids, and for loving us with fullness and depth. You are my best friend, and I love you more.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Congratulations! Not many couples make it that far. :)

Have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails