Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Katie's in Trouble

Katie was working on her book report Monday night. She decided to color in her school library book, then said "Uh-oh" out loud after she saw what she had done. She called me over and showed it to me. It wasn't a big mark - she just colored in the center of a flower. But I told her that was a bad decision because we don't write in library books. We marked the page with a Post-It note and I told her to show her teacher on Tuesday when she turned her book in. She was very sad and knew she had done something wrong.

She came home from school yesterday and I opened her book bag and found the Post-It note at the bottom. I asked her if she told her teacher. She said she forgot. I asked why the Post-It note had been removed and was still in her bag. Turns out she took the Post-It out and returned the book because she didn't want to get in trouble. I immediately called her teacher who was still at school, and Katie burst into tears of shame. I tried to get Katie to talk to her teacher on the phone about it, but she wouldn't. I explained the situation to the teacher before hanging up the phone. I told Katie how disappointed I was in her for hiding her mistake and then lying to me about it by saying, "I forgot." I told her that Daddy and would discuss her punishment when he got home. Later we decided to take her computer privileges away for a week. She also lost five marbles in the course of the evening (roughhousing with Jackson, whining, etc.). It was a rough night!

Today, Katie's plan was to fess up to her teacher and then report back to me. I am happy to say that when she got off the bus, she told me, "I told the truth" and admitted that her heart felt happy. I hope she's learned her lesson!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails