Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Warmth

I never mentioned what a warm Christmas I had, did I? I am lucky enough to have friends and family who noticed my issues with the cold weather. Namely, my Raynaud's Syndrome keeps cutting off the circulation to my fingers. I am amazed at how thoughtful everyone has been about that. Jen gave me a paraffin wax machine. My mother-in-law has made at least 13 different hand warmers for me to microwave. (She went and bought different types of filler and sewed me a bunch with cute fabric she picked out - even Mizzou fabric!) Michelle gave me mittens and hand warmers, the kind you use for hunting, along with the sweetest note about how I make the world a warmer place. My sister gave me an electric warming throw for Christmas, and I got a second one from my in-laws. Dan gave me adult-sized footie pajamas.

But I have to admit that my favorite "warming" gift was one I wasn't even sure I would wear. Beth and I had been shopping in the past and I said I'd like one of those puffy vests that are popular right now, but I was afraid that it would make me look even fatter than I already do and I might be mistaken for a marshmallow. I hemmed and hawed over it on a good two or three separate shopping trips with her. Well, she went ahead and bought one for me. And the coolest part is she had it monogrammed for me through our friend's embroidery business, Missy Doo's. The truth is I HAVEN'T STOPPED WEARING IT for about a month straight. Seriously, y'all. I have worn the vest almost every single day because it keeps my core body temp pretty toasty. I love it! And I feel so cute and "with-it" since it has my monogram on it. I haven't had a monogrammed item since the monogram fad in grade school. (Don't you love my pink sweater with the navy blue embroidery?! How about the hair? Ah, I was so young and innocent then.)

So if you see me wearing that same old vest over and over again these days, now you know why. (Seriously - go look through recent photos of me on my blog and you'll see the vest a few times.) My fingers are still losing circulation from the recent bitter cold weather, but at least I'm a little warmer these days.

Thank you to all of you who love me so much and are trying to keep my body warm, my spirits high, and my heart full. You are warming me, inside and out!

4 comments:

Louise said...

I'm a lurker! But, not a famous one. You are totally not nerdy to be pumped about that--how coolcoolcool to have a comment from an author.

[except...that means she probably googled herself and that's how she found you...but then, who am I kidding? When I'm famous I'll google myself, just to see who out there is blogging about me...]

I also loved your Georgia post. Made me cry, I think because my parents are aging and I feel a little as though I'm at the beginning of something that will inevitably culminate in a trip much like you had, though I hope not for many, many years.

I enjoy your thoughtful writing!

Shannon said...

Glad to know I am not the only one who feels like a marshmallow in a puffy coat, lol. Stay warm! It is supposed to be 60 here tomorrow... crazy huh?

Robin said...

I could not believe how much you look like Katie. It is amazing.

If you had not mentioned the vest, I never would have noticed it. I had to scroll through the older post to even remember seeing it once.

Obviously, you should never take any fashion advice from me!!

Anonymous said...

You are very blessed to have such thoughtful friends and family! What a great mother in law to make you those warmers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails