Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Second Snow Day


School was cancelled today. This makes day two of being house bound. So, I had to get creative again. No, we didn't make any more Seymours. But we did get the parachute out! It didn't keep the kids' attention for as long as I had hoped, but it broke the monotony a bit. (And, yes, Jackson is holding an empty soap box in the photo. He plays with random things.)
I also got a wild hair and decided to organize the storage area in the basement. (And I'm only showing you a photo so my kids will have some proof one day that the basement used to be organized.) I think mostly I was procrastinating and avoiding my daily elliptical workout, but I ended up getting a workout nonetheless. You should have seen me grunting and pushing as I tried to move a wardrobe, until I realized it was BOLTED to the wall. My true goal was to move three of the five beds that we have stored in the basement behind a shelf. (Yes, much to Dan's chagrin, I have FIVE beds in my basement. Long story. They're heirlooms. Which Dan doesn't care about. Anyway...) I got the beds hidden away, then I stacked two dining room tables on top of each other which was quite a feat, if I say so myself. (And, yes, I also have THREE random "heirloom" dining tables in my house. Another long story.) I also cleaned out a pile of old shipping boxes. I was so proud of myself for being such a good cleaner! But I didn't stop there. Oh no sirree! Before the day was over, I also cleaned out piles of old magazines and cleared off my dining room table (which my friend Michelle told me she calls the "Staging Area" in her house, and I think that's fitting). In between all of this, I also found time to play games with Katie, make phone calls to get some medical records ordered, run to Aldi for the basics, and go to Bunco. So for being stuck inside all day, I think the day was well-spent.

Katie also got special treatment from Daddy today. He came home from work a little early to take her to sledding with her uncle, cousin and grandparents. (Jackson and I stayed home.) Dan met his brother at their aunt and uncle's house, where they always went sledding as a kid. They consider it their very own mountain, and we've taken Katie sledding there almost every year when it snows. After sledding, Daddy even took her out to McDonald's. It's like she died and went to heaven.

One more thing I did, which I wish I had a photo to show you: I got snow from our patio and put it on the kitchen table for Jackson to play with. He was kind of unsure about it, and decided to eat it instead of play with it. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and take photos this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be a professional organizer! I'm impressed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails