Sunday, January 11, 2009

Our Weekend

After my crash and burn on Thursday, I got lots of love from my friends and family and I feel rejuvenated after a good weekend.

First, the weather was halfway decent on Friday so the kids played outside for about an hour. The sunshine (what little of it there was) helped us all feel better and breathe easier. Saturday morning, I weighed in and lost 3.8 pounds. Yeeow! I'm almost to my first goal and I've refocused my brain and will power. We went to a birthday party on Saturday, then Grandma met us and took the kids to her house for the night. Dan and I had all afternoon to ourselves, which was so nice.
Dan went to the Walgreen's clinic to get an Rx for his sinus infection, then we went to church together. You have to understand that is such an amazing thing to write. We had a "date night" and chose to go to church?! Years ago, that wouldn't have even crossed our minds. Church was awesome, then we went out to dinner at O'Charley's and saw the movie Gran Torino. It was pretty good, although I think he used every single racial slur in the book. I know that was part of Clint Eastwood's character, but it still made me squirm in my seat.

Today we slept in and then the grandparents brought the kids home to us. They stayed for lunch (we got takeout at one of our favorites, El Maguey), then my friend Jennifer picked me up so we could go workout at Gold's Gym. We met Joe there because it was part of our Team Turtleton training schedule. We walked on the treadmills for an hour (3.5 miles), and I even RAN for two of those 60 minutes. Me? Running? Hell has frozen over, y'all. It was a great workout with great conversation, which made me feel so good.

Tonight I made a treat for the kids for dinner (chocolate chip waffles), and Jackson was COVERED in chocolate by the end of the meal. We tried to get a photo of it, but he wouldn't cooperate so you'll just have to take my word for it. Another awesome thing this weekend? Jackson started counting. Yep! He says, "1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, NINE!" and then sometimes finishes with "Yay!" because he's so proud of himself. What a genius!

Now I'm blogging before I head upstairs for my weekly tub. Ah... bliss.

As for that list of needs that I wrote about last Sunday? I have spent the past week focusing on it, and trying to make sure I take care of myself as well as I take care of others. (Uh-oh... maybe we're all going down the crapper then!) Of course, I had a meltdown on Thursday, but just trying to keep the focus on my needs this week DID help. I made a chart in my journal and at the end of each day, checked off the needs that I fulfilled. I realized it's not so difficult to make myself happy. That's a good feeling.

And thanks to my sister, I have one need that is getting fulfilled this coming weekend... but it's a need I didn't list and didn't realize I had until we talked on Thursday after my meltdown. She is going home to Georgia this weekend to see her in-laws and invited me to meet her there. So... I decided I would really really like to do that, and I'm going home! As soon as I talked to Dan and we made the decision, my heart started fluttering because I am so excited. I can't wait to see my sister, who is a Home to me all on her own. And I can't wait to visit my hometown. I haven't been back since Mom died in 2004. Yes, I know that means I'll probably have quite an emotional response to being back. But, oh! I am so looking forward to going! Thanks for pushing me, Mary.

I'm off to go soak now, and start what I know is going to be a better week. It has to be, right?

2 comments:

Robin said...

Getting away might be just the ticket. Let me know if you need anything.

Shannon said...

Praying it is a better week! You are a workout warrior, lol. Wish I could walk that long on a treadmill.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails