Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Day Seymour

This is the view outside my window today. Snow. Cold. Ice. It's still snowing as I write, and should be continuing for a bit. This, of course, means school was cancelled today. I'm still holding out hope that school will be in session tomorrow, because that means Jackson's Parents Day Out program will be open and I can be child-free for a day. Besides, today was supposed to be Katie's big 100 Day celebration at school. You know, the one I sewed one hundred tiny buttons onto a shirt for? Yeah, THAT 100 Day! I know the celebration will just happen whenever she goes back to school, but I want it to be tomorrow. I'm excited for her! We've already counted out 100 oyster crackers for her to take to school, and her shirt is ready to wear!

We've had a pretty good snow day so far. Cabin fever hasn't set in (yet), and both kids even slept in a bit today. Our neighbor (three streets down) and her two daughters came over to play. Katie is in the same class as one the daughters, so they had a grand time playing under the dining room table and in the basement fort and with toy cars. After they left and Jackson went down for his nap, Katie and I snuggled in to the LoveSac to read a new book we bought yesterday, called Can You See What I See? Seymour Makes New Friends. We recently got hooked on these books through the library, and I took the kids to Borders yesterday and bought Katie her very own edition (along with a great kids' Bible). The books are kind of like Where's Waldo, but with photos of real items. There's usually this little beaded dude hidden in the photos, but this book is specifically about Seymour (the little beaded dude). He starts the book reading his own book about bunnies on a seesaw and decides to make his own bunny and seesaw. Each page thereafter has a photo with some sort of supply that Seymour uses to make the bunnies. The goal is to search the photos for a list of objects that is printed on the side. After we read for about 20 minutes, Katie and I had the brilliant idea to make some Seymours of our own!

I trekked down to the basement to find pipecleaners, beads and some old pompoms I bought years ago. We set everything up on the kitchen table and got to work threading pipecleaners through the beads. It was so easy, and we were both squealing with our final results.

After our first two, we made two more for Dan and Jackson. Did I mention we named them Penny, Seymour, Bob and Charlie? Yep, we did. We even wrote their names across their bellies.

I had been talking to Katie about making Valentines for her classmates, and this led to our next brilliant idea: let's make Seymours for all 18 kids in her class! Turns out it wasn't that hard. We used the pompoms that were already "pre-drilled" with plastic tubes inserted through them, and opted not to use any beads. They turned out pretty cute too.

Now, I'm catching up on the blog and other computer work, and Katie is at the kitchen table making personalized Valentine hearts to go along with her pompom Seymours. The house is quiet, the snow is still falling, and we are happy.

4 comments:

scrappysue said...

gorgeous snow pic - hope they make it back to school tomorrow!

Louise said...

Some of my favorite craft memories (I'm not super crafty myself so there aren't very many craft memories, actually!) are of my mom letting me loose with various scraps to make original valentines for my classmates and a creative mail box for me. Although we usually did it too late at night instead of taking advantage of a snow day--you girls are smart. :)

And I realized how I found your blog...Gretchen's Travels must have editing or proofreading or some interest down that I have so I landed on hers and LAUGHED my FACE off at her waxing post. Then I found you. I didn't laugh my face off, but then...you have your nether regions intact [assuming] which make it a positive trade off for you! And you got a loyal reader in the mix!

Gretchen said...

School is cancelled here today, too. I still have to drag myself out to a meeting soon, but wanted to catch up with everyone first. :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this out loud to Caleb! He enjoys your blog too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails