Friday, October 21, 2011

New Year’s Resolutions (January 2007)

I was president of my mom’s group a few years ago. Every month, our newsletter included a President’s Greeting. It was usually a cheery preview of the month’s upcoming activities. Since I’m not very good at cheery previews, I used the space to write my own personal thoughts on motherhood. I am including these on my blog for my children to read one day.

January 2007: I love to make New Year resolutions. I don’t know that I’ve ever been successful at keeping them for a long-term period of time, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like having a chance to try.

Since 2001, I’ve written down most of my resolutions. If nothing else, they’re fun to look back at and see what I thought was important or worth improving in my life. Kind of a little time capsule from the past year. I’ve included such gems as stop cussing, take my vitamins, floss more, and, of course, there is always a mention about my eyelashes! (Those of you who know about my OCD will know how well that has been going for me!)

It’s also nice to look back and see how I’ve been trying to comfort my soul. My 2006 resolution to “light more candles” was obviously a hope for more relaxation and meditation. My 2004 resolution to say grace before meals tells me I was lacking a spiritual connection in 2003. That seems pretty logical, considering I had a six-month-old and was lucky enough to sit down and eat, much less connect spiritually to anything.

The changing calendar has always marked a new beginning for me – another chance to get it right. Yes, I get the same chance every morning that I wake up too, but putting the past year to bed has always helped me mentally forgive my shortcomings, extend grace to myself, and re-energize my passions for a brand new beginning. The new year is a physical reminder to me that days pass into weeks and into months and into years. If you don’t take a moment to look at what you’ve left behind, how can you chart your course for the future?

So whether you use January 1 or, like a friend of mine, use your birthday to mark a new beginning, at least promise yourself that you’ll make the time to count your blessings, take stock of the here and now, and chart some ways to grow in the coming year. And let me know if you need someone to encourage you to floss more. I’m always here to help!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails