Sunday, August 16, 2009

5 Good Things Booklet

Today's sermon in church was focused on travel tips for those going through a transition in their lives. It could be starting a new school (or sending your baby off for the first time), a death, a birth, or just something that feels big and close to erupting in your life. The pastor talked about Jeremiah 29:4-14, which was written to those in exile - and I'm sure those who felt abandoned by the Lord. The gist of the passage is God talking to those who feel like they are waiting for something better to start. He is telling them to stop waiting and live their lives NOW. "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce." Even in exile! Don't wait until your lives are back to "normal." The pastor suggested we give up the "if only" game and stop wishing for someone else's story.

I think one of the ways we do that is to focus on what is good in our lives, not what is bad. Showing gratitude to God and those in our lives opens our hearts for more joy.

I came across this post, and love the idea of finding five good things every day. I printed a booklet and will fill it out this week. Maybe I'll post the five things (or 35, after seven days) in a week, to let you know the good that is flowing through my life.

Why don't you experiment with me? Focus on the good, even when things might not feel so good. I'd love for you to share your five/35 things with me too!

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Even in exile.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I'm in!

I don't have a printer so I'll have to do this on a homemade booklet. :)

Anonymous said...

1) The blogging world: who enrich my life even though we've never "met" in person.

2) Being so busy (with GOOD things) that I am struggling to keep up on mundane chores. ;)

3) Being a year older... and wiser (I hope).

4) People who point me to God and gratitude when I was just wasting time surfing the net. ;)

5) Coffee. <-- enough said.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails