Saturday, May 2, 2009

Like Father, Like Daughter

I have the BEST news to share with y'all. It has lifted my spirits all week, but I haven't had a chance to tell you about it until now because I was getting permission to share it with you.

Last Monday night, I got a comment on my blog. My jaw dropped when I realized it was written by the daughter of Martin Buxbaum.

Huh?! Who's that, you ask? If you've read this blog, then you should already know, people!

Martin Buxbaum is the poet who wrote "Six Golden Coins." Uh, yeah... that's the poem I named my blog after. Need more explanation as to why? Then go read the "About My Blog" blurb on the right-hand side of my blog page. Scroll down a bit, you'll see it. Or you can go here for the post too, and you'll also see the original comment that Kate Buxbaum-Prado left me (Martin's daughter).

I got the comment and my heart just about burst open with surprise and joy and, of course, sadness. Why? Well... you have no idea how MUCH I'd love to call my dad and tell him that the daughter of one of his favorite poets got in contact with me. I can just hear him saying, "Wow! Did she really?" He'd be so proud and excited about it.

I emailed Kate back and told her how honored I am to keep her father's words alive. And even more honored that she would contact me. I also visited her website and read some of the poems she has written, and realized she has her father's gift.

And isn't that the biggest honor of all? That our father's gifts and lives will be carried on through us? My dad was a poet too, although he was never published. But his love for words and dramatic readings lives on in me. Kate's father was a tender poet, and the tenderness he bestowed on his children is evident in her poems and also in her character, as she reached out to me.

The truth is I'd love to call Dad and share all this with him, but I know he already knows. He's beaming down at me, full of joy and wonder at what a small world we live in. I am thrilled that my little old blog has resurrected both Kate's father and mine for at least a short while. We, their daughters, are blessed to carry their legacies within us.

8 comments:

adam might have said...

wow, that really is an incredible honor. and see, you have more readers than you thought. keep up the good writing!

Celia said...

What a thrill! How generous and thoughtful she was to contact you.

sheryl b said...

That is so awesome. I could just imagine you feeling all of those emotions as I was reading! You are right, your Dad does already know, and is very proud

CrystalW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CrystalW said...

That is great poem. I had not read it before now. I see why you love it.

scrappysue said...

pretty damn awesome!!! very very cool indeed elizabeth

Lynnie said...

That is totally cool! Congrats!

Charity said...

That is amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails