Saturday, December 12, 2015

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Lyrical Christmas Countdown, Day 12

IMG_7982Like a few other songs in the countdown, this one was written for a movie. In this instance, the movie was Meet Me in St. Louis.

In 2006, an Entertainment Weekly article reported that the lyrics “Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight” were originally written as “It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past.” Whoa, baby!

Personally, I’m very glad the lyrics became “Let your heart be light.” I’m glad the lyrics don’t say something like “May your heart be light.” The “let” part implies that lightening my heart and my spirits is a decision *I* have to make. It is my responsibility to allow light in; I must choose to twinkle. Today, let each of us choose light!

{During this countdown, I’ll be posting my favorite lyrics as a way to engage my soul and slow the bustle of my heart this Advent season.}

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails