Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Baptism Through My Zoom Lens

If you could see what I see through my zoom lens on baptism day each year, you would walk away from the pond a changed person. Here’s what I saw this past Sunday:

An army of baptizees cresting the hill in exuberant abandon, while a watching crowd cheers them on with colorful fabric waving high.

_MDS6757

A man being laid down in the water, dying to himself and rising again as he allows Jesus to make him into a new creation.IMGP7544

The sweet preschool girl who tenderly placed her hand on her mommy’s face and hugged her tight in celebration.IMGP8097

_MDS7445_MDS7266_MDS7045IMGP8017_MDS6990-2_MDS7256

The water witness who stood behind her daughter, with a look of pure emotion on her face.

_MDS7251

Humble heads that bowed in awe because this gift REALLY is for them!IMGP7556

The high fives and jubilation of baptizees as they hugged their pastors and water witnesses._MDS6860

A grandson unable to contain himself as he rushed into his grandmother’s arms._MDS6893

Brothers baptized with arms intertwined._MDS6794

Pastors who, over and over, figuratively (and literally!) pointed to Jesus all evening long._MDS7368

Rocks, laid down and no longer used for hiding behind - or throwing at others._MDS7491

The hands clasped in prayer the moment they emerged from the water, praising God for such an extravagant gift of grace._MDS7204

The wife who watched her husband surrender to his Father._MDS7017

The innumerable arms raised in victory, knowing they have an eternity to look forward to with Someone who adores them._MDS7146

The earthly father who hoists his daughter in the air and celebrates Father’s Day knowing that their heavenly Father is pleased with His Beloved._MDS6975

The trembling chin of a burly man who was Just. Trying. To. Keep. It. Together! so he didn’t burst into tears.

Husbands and wives who clung to each other.

The grown man whose lips said the words, “I’m ready” in response to his baptism time.

The tear-filled eyes of a woman who doesn’t feel alone anymore.

The baptism of the person who was one of the first links in a chain of people responsible for inviting me to a church where God finally became real and personal to me._MDS6818

And the arms of a friend outstretched to the pal who is the latest link in that chain of people invited to a church where Jesus has become real and personal.IMGP7441

Amazing grace. Unshackled chains. Freedom in Christ, finally!

4 comments:

Brina said...

Completely and amazingly beautiful. Just beautiful Elizabeth. The photos AND the words!

Love,
Brina

Gina said...

I adore this post. Everything about it. I wouldn't have given up my spot in the water for anything but I'm so grateful that you posted these so I could get your view too. And gahhhhhhh....the one of the preschooler touching her mom's face? SERIOUSLY. Oh...and the dad of the boys with special needs. And and and. Love.

Alisa Renee' said...

I've never visited your blog before, but I'm so glad I did today. I was literally overcome with emotion as I looked at your pictures. This was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Meagan said...

I have tears streaming down my face. This pictures are amazing! I'm sharing on Facebook!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails