Sunday, December 11, 2011

Giving PresenCE – LEGO Necklaces

Our family participates in the [Advent Conspiracy]. The four tenants of [AC] are Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, and Love All. For the past few years, we’ve been trying to find creative ways to give Christmas gifts that are gifts of presence, not just a present. In the days leading up to Christmas, I’ll be sharing some of these ideas with you.

My kids *love* LEGOs, just like every other red-blooded American kid I know. When I saw these cute LEGO necklaces at The Long Thread, I couldn’t wait to make one for Katie. And then I decided to make matching mother-daughter LEGO necklaces! Here’s how they turned out._MDS1467

It really was very easy. I got some LEGOs from the kids’ stash, bought a pack of silver bails at Michaels craft store, and got some E6000 glue. I stuck those bails on the back, and strung them on a ball chain Katie already had, and voila! I’ll be giving the necklaces to Katie in the jewelry box pictured, along with some extra little LEGO pieces so she can change the “jewels” around on her pendant.

How exactly does this necklace set fit into the [Advent Conspiracy] way of gift-giving? First, it’s a gift of a shared interest. (I like playing LEGOs too, you know!) Secondly, it cost me less than $10 to make, so I have money I’ve saved that I can donate to Living Water International. Cheers all around!

1 comment:

Gina said...

I saw this idea at the Worship Fully experience and grabbed the sheet of paper because I thought they were so cute.

I'm making my dad two of the things from the experience too...treats that are specific to share between him and L, and the map with the line between their houses. :) I'm putting the treats in Wizard of Oz glasses and incorporating "there's no place like home, except Paw-Paw's house" on the map. (His favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz.)

I'm eventually going to write a post about Advent Conspiracy ideas. I better do it soon, huh?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails