Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Godson

Remember my best friend Beth, and the twins that were born three months early? They are almost seven months old now, and thriving! I was given the high honor of becoming Finn’s Godmother this past Sunday. It was pretty special to me!IMGP9229-100

I have never witnessed a Catholic baptism, nor have I been a Godmother before. This is all new to me, so I admit I’m flying by the seat of my pants. I was fascinated by the baptismal ritual, including all the anointing oils and prayers and symbolism. I really wanted to pull the priest aside afterwards and ask him all kinds of how and why questions, but I restrained myself. I didn’t want to embarrass my friends or my Godson, you know! Instead, I satisfied myself with taking lots of photos after the ceremony, then Googling as much as I could.

I am blessed to be a special part of Finn’s life, and honored to help him on his spiritual journey. I think it’s going to be pretty fantastic!

2 comments:

JC's Loft said...

Aw how neat!

Paula

donna said...

Congratulations....such a big honor I think to be asked to a godparent. I'm a godparent to a number of my nephews and nieces and its something special that I share with my godchildren that is somehow separate from me being their Aunt. Being a Catholic I LOVE the baptismal ceremony. It really invites everyone to pause and ponder their own faith journey. For me, it was an opportunity to reaffirm my own beliefs and realise the responsibility of leading children through theirs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails