Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Making PB&Js

We have a routine in our house that has saved tremendous amounts of time, so I want to pass it along.

You know those Smuckers Uncrustables?  Man, they are yummy! And oh so easy when it comes to packing lunches for my kids. Just take one out of the freezer and pop it in the lunch box where it thaws by lunchtime. But there are a few drawbacks: they are a little pricey, and I’d like to have a better nutritional punch.

Thanks to my friend Michelle’s awesome idea, I came up with an alternative. I buy a loaf of wheat bread, a jar of natural peanut butter, and a jar of sugar free grape jelly. I line up the bread on the counter, then Katie and I have a factory line and make 10 or 12 sandwiches at a time. I get out my Pampered Chef Cut-N-Seal (which makes an Uncrustable-shaped sandwich), and cut the crusts off.IMGP4962

Then I get empty sour cream and hummus containers and pop a sandwich in each of them. We toss them in the freezer to wait for mornings.IMGP4972

When Katie finishes breakfast each morning, she packs her school lunch. She grabs a homemade Uncrustable, and lunches are taken care of!

It’s a money saver, a time saver, nutritional, and Katie takes pride in making her own sandwiches now. Yay for everyone!

5 comments:

Gina said...

What an awesome idea! I need to do that for myself! :)I don't know if you go to Trader Joe's, but they have some amazing fruit spread that is 100% natural, too. And I know it's an extra step, but if you put a little creamed honey on the sandwich, you might die from the deliciousness.

JC's Loft said...

That is a fabulous idea! Jake is presently eating school lunches, but I'm not that thrilled with the unhealthy menu selection so I may be switching over to sack lunches and will definitely be doing this!!!!!

Paula

Brina said...

I love this! I have the pampered chef thing, but wasn't sure how the sandwiches would turn out frozen. I'm going to give it a try. Quinn will ONLY eat one of these for lunch at school...and he's 49 lbs (on his ADD meds he won't eat and is sooo skinny). I'll let you know how it goes for us.

<3 Brina

Brina said...

Wait! What is creamed honey?

Charity said...

Oh to be so organized....in my dreams! Caleb loves those things. You can't go wrong with PB and J.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails