Monday, August 16, 2010

Dancing in the Rain

See my blog header? The one with the word “FAMILY” superimposed over my family’s faces? Have any of you stopped to read the quote below that? The one that says: “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.”

Didja get that? If not, go read it again.

There are storms, people. Big ones. My skies aren’t very dark right now, but I have close friends who have some enormous thunder clouds raining down on them. The ones who have new babies and keep asking, “Why?” The ones who have cancer and also ask, “Why?” The friends who have lost loved ones and feel so alone. Or those friends whose marriages are cold and unraveling.

Sometimes, I don’t know what to say to them. I’ve weathered storms, but my storms left their own special brand of devastation on my life. My friends are going through their own storms, and I don’t have a lot to say to them. But, then again, maybe they don’t want me to say anything to them.

But, oh! I hope they know I’m dancing with them. That they’re not alone. That my heart aches too. I hope that my presence beside them is a dance unto itself, even if the soundtrack is one of silence and anguish. The dancing? It might not be much more than surviving another day. Or holding that baby. Or maybe the dance is simply shedding tears.

There can be beauty in the storm, beauty in the dancing. Let me rephrase that – maybe not a beautiful storm, but beauty in surviving it.

3 comments:

Gina said...

I've noticed your quote before and LOVE it!

Gretchen said...

I love the quote, too! Yeah, things are pretty dark around me, but I push myself every day to just keep going one more hour at a time. Don't think there aren't times I want to give up, but then I'll get a text or message from a friend and it gives me a little boost.

Tommy said...

I definitely agree. I really like that quote. If you're even in the mood to read something (especially about good quotes) you can find it here: http://ourgreatidea.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails