Thursday, October 22, 2009

What I've Learned From Leaves

I have been driving around town the last few days, stunned into awe by the beautiful sights of the leaves changing colors. This one is in our neighbors' front yard:


I asked Katie and her friends to collect leaves yesterday (on one of the rare days lately when it isn't raining in the St. Louis area) and then I dipped them in paraffin wax. I read about it here in FamilyFun magazine, and was excited to try it. I'm hoping the wax will help extend the leaves' life and that I can display them in our house. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet, besides just stare at their beauty.


That's when I realized a leaf by itself can be pretty and colorful. A small masterpiece. However, the leaf's full beauty isn't realized unless it is on a tree with the depth and support of other leaves surrounding it. That's when it becomes breathtaking.


That's the way it is for us, too. You can be pretty and nice on your own, maybe even beautiful. But your true purpose and joy shines when you reflect the beauty of your Maker, and those who surround you and lift you up.

Sometimes I don't feel so beautiful on my own, but my Loves and the Light within make me pretty spectacular.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am sure I don't need to tell you that I LOVE THIS POST. That red tree....oh my goodness. I want it in my yard! I think your leaves would look awesome just scattered on a table, a piano, half-wall, etc.

PillowNaut said...

o my what a breath-takingly beautiful tree!! i have a paraffin burner, i should try this with some of my leaves! many are shedding orange right now. i have one small red tree but nothing quite so grand as this. thank you for sharing! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails