Monday, December 21, 2009

Want/Need/Wear/Read

I was feeling a little anxiety this weekend over the fact that Christmas is so close and I didn't have ANY presents wrapped. Except for these, which I HAD to wrap so I could mail them to my sister in North Carolina last week. What do you think of my unique wrapping paper?


This year, I used old maps to wrap gifts. It's unique, environmentally friendly, and colorful too. I'm pretty sure my nieces will say I've lost my mind. But, then again, they already thought I was weird.

So last night, Dan and I had a mission. He worked on a spreadsheet while I went to the basement to start wrapping gifts. He joined me when he was done, and we watched the Survivor finale and assembled and wrapped some more gifts. I can't tell you how many times I congratulated myself for being so smart a few years ago and sewing drawstring bags to use for wrapping. They are reusable and so darn easy. I was thrilled with how much time I saved.

I was also pretty excited because this year, we are limiting the gifts to four categories: Want, Need, Wear, Read. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that Katie told us she should get three gifts (like baby Jesus was given) and then one from Santa. I had already bought a few more than that so I wasn't sure how to backtrack and make that work. I recently read some comments here and here that made me rethink the idea. Dan and I settled on Want, Need, Wear and Read. I made special tags for the kids' gifts and wrapped them in the bags. I think they turned out pretty well!


And, yes, I do understand that drawstring gifts bags will work for only a certain period of time. Once Katie learns to tie her shoes, I'll have to come up with some other way to wrap. But for now, it's the way to go!

5 comments:

Jeff and Brandi said...

Do you guys do gifts like this for you and Dan too-the want, read, wear, need? Jeff and I were just talking the other day about this and how to not be over excessive with gifts for Cale and I think this is a great idea!

Gina said...

Love the want need wear read idea. Honestly, we didn't do a whole heck of a lot for L this year. Granted, he got more than 4 gifts, but not much more! I love your wrapping!

scrappysue said...

sooooooooooo tempted to try this next year!

Emily said...

Great ideas! I may use them in the future! Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! We should definitely talk in person more often. Are you going to do the Go! St. Louis/Living Water run in April?

Brina said...

I still use bags. For almost every occasion. I've made some for birthdays and a bunch more for Christmas. Quinn knows not to touch them and he does know how to tie =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails