Friday, November 18, 2011

The Best Teacher (May 2007)

I was president of my mom’s group a few years ago. Every month, our newsletter included a President’s Greeting. It was usually a cheery preview of the month’s upcoming activities. Since I’m not very good at cheery previews, I used the space to write my own personal thoughts on motherhood. I am including these on my blog for my children to read one day.

May 2007: Right now, I’m watching the local news. There are some awful stories of things people have done to each other, animals, their children, and themselves. What is wrong with us today? What in our society is so lacking that such awful crimes are becoming more common? It seems to me there is a hole somewhere that people keep trying to fill with the wrong stuff. What is going on? And is there any way we can change the direction we’re taking?

The only answer I have is the one that’s sleeping upstairs right now in her big girl bed. She, and all the other little answers you have sleeping at your houses, is the place where we as parents get to hopefully start over and try to get the train back on track. It starts with you and with me, and it continues through our children and on to their children. The job of teaching our babies how to become responsible, compassionate, and moral people is not the job of teachers or friends or grandparents. It’s YOURS. The stakes are getting higher and higher with each passing generation.

I don’t expect Katie to change the world (yet I wouldn’t be surprised if she did!), but I do hope and pray that if we all teach our kids – AND OURSELVES – the right path to walk, we can make a difference. On your worst days when you feel too exhausted to show your child (yet again) how to use her manners or how to share toys or how to stop hitting, I hope this will inspire you to keep trying and keep walking that path. You’re the best teacher he’s got, and your contributions will help change our world one child at a time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails