Thursday, February 8, 2018

Guatemala, Day 8 (Saturday 10/28/17)

[Would you like to start reading this travel blog from the beginning? Click here to start with day 1 and follow along.]

THREE IN THE MORNING, people. That’s what time I was up, bleary-eyed and packing. I took a couple photos of our dormitory-style room, then we loaded everyone for the hour-long drive to the Guatemala City airport. (Lucky me, I got to ride in the truck with Jaime one last time!)


It was still dark when Jaime and Nestor dropped us at the airport and hugged us goodbye. Oh, how I wished we could stay!

We worked our way through the airport and immigration (with Jesus in My Pocket), bought a last few souvenirs (pens and a leather bracelet), and our flight departed.

The sun was up by then, so I got a last few photos of Guatemala – including some grainy photos of a volcano burping ash.

Before I knew it, we were landing in Texas and back in the United States.

We made it through customs (they have these new-fangled self checkout kiosks!), did some subway surfing back to the main terminal, and parked ourselves for lunch at Friday’s. YUM! HAMBURGERS!


One more dose of eyedrops for the girls in the bathroom, where we could enjoy the luxury of American sewers and FLUSH OUR TOILET PAPER. (You laugh, but it’s amazing the things we take for granted in America!)

We settled at our gate and played one last round of Bananagrams. But this time, Mary insisted we play it Guatemala style. It was a free-for-all, spelling anything we wanted in no particular order with one condition: any word we spelled had to reference our week in Guatemala. Here’s our finished product.

We boarded our last flight to St. Louis, arriving home happy and exhausted.

A few days after we got home, I used the One Second Everyday app on my phone to make a video of our trip. Keep in mind: I only used the photos I already had on my phone, and the video goes really fast on purpose. (There’s a reason it’s called “One Second.”)

To any of you brave souls who read through this entire trip log, thanks for following along on our story. Now, here’s the question: when will YOU be traveling with Living Water International? I’d love to hear about it, or answer any questions you have. Just leave me a comment below!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails