Friday, August 2, 2013

Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist

One of my favorite books from this summer was a book called Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist. My friend Mary P gave it to me because it has gluten-free recipes in it. At first, I wasn’t sure I’d like it very much because I am incredibly inept in the kitchen, and recipes just do NOT interest me at all. I’m so glad Mary gave it to me, because otherwise I wouldn’t have read it. And I’m so glad I did!IMG_3856

This book is much more than a recipe book. It is a devotional, a memoir, and recipes. It inspired me to cultivate hospitality in my home (which I don’t do very much or very well), and it also inspired me to be a better friend. And the book has the added bonus of providing recipes that are EASY and tasty.

The first chapter of the book is a description of Shauna’s childhood, and she references a blueberry crisp recipe that brings her childhood to life. It seemed easy enough to make, so I tried it with peaches. Oh, man! What a great dessert!IMG_4093

My other favorite recipe from the book is the one for breakfast cookies. Katie didn’t like them very much, because the base is mashed bananas. She is anti-bananas these days, but that meant more breakfast cookies for me and Jackson. Yippee! These were really good... AND easy... and I froze a bunch too, which was another kind of awesome.IMG_4092

I’ve also made a white chicken chili recipe from the book, which Dan and I really enjoyed too. And if I’ve made three recipes from ANY book, that should tell you how great of a book it is! Another clue: I have already decided to buy a few copies of this book for two friends for Christmas because it is THAT good of a book. If you read it or try any recipes from it, let me know.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails