Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lupus Walk

My team, Steele Butterflies, completed the Lupus Walk this morning (including an unexpected half mile). It was a good time, and nice to have Dan, Katie, Jackson, John (my father-in-law), and especially Catrina and Lizzie there with me. After the walk, we sat in the park and enjoyed the cool weather, and had a light lunch. It was so peaceful and uplifting.



Thank you also to those of you who donated to our team. We raised a total of $365 in ten days. Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you to our donors. I know every dollar was given because of your love for me, or someone you know with Lupus.

As the weekend comes to a close, I'm feeling much better mentally. I'm ready to tackle Lupus head-on, and I've had time to let the shock wear off and let the fighter in me come out. A recurring theme kept popping up over and over this past week - during research I've done, conversations I've had, TV shows I've watched, and even last night's sermon at church: I have to slow down and reduce stress in my life. I'm not quite sure how that is going to manifest itself, but I know that I'm going to have to make a shift in priorities. I heard a quote this week: "You were not 'in the moment,' you were trying to get 'to' the moment." That's how I've been living my life: so busy busy busy and running from one task to the next. I need to slow down, be in the moment more, and learn what is necessary and what is just fluff. In yesterday's sermon, the pastor said Nehemiah knew "when to push and when to push pause."

During a song at church last night, one of the lyrics was "You are healing me." I needed to hear that! God is taking care of me, loving me, lifting me up on eagle's wings, and speaking to me through the people He's placed in my life.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are amazing and I'm so grateful that I know you. I'm sorry you have to go through this but excited to help you work through the good stuff. I hope we can lift each other up together. Thanks for being so strong!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

I am so proud of you and the rest of the Steele Butterflies...

Sophie - LFA said...

Hey there ... my name is Wick Davis and I'm with the Lupus Foundation of America. I came across your blog and wanted to say hi. I'm in the process of reaching out to other lupus bloggers. I was wondering if you'd be interested in exchanging links to one another's blog. You can read the LFA blog here http://lfa-inc.blogspot.com. I have already added a link to your blog on the LFA blog, in the section called "Lupus Blogs We Read." I would love to talk more with you. You can reach me at davis@lupus.org. I hope to hear from you. Oh, and congrats on your lupus walk. That's fantastic. best, Wick

Gretchen said...

What a great story! Congrats on the walk!!!

Shannon said...

LOVE the name of your team. Glad you were successful in the walk and raising money. Way to go!!!!

Catrina said...

You are truly one of the very best friends I have and I thank God for you daily. Here I am wallowing in my self pity and with all you have going on, you cheer me immensely. Thank you, E. You are the best and I mean it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your reflections on the Nehemiah message and song at church!

Love the team shirts and Katie in her butterfly wings.

-Charity

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails